In 1831 Sunday School Teacher Samuel Lawson founded what has become the Independence Day Parade of Churches and Sunday Schools.
This Tuesday, July 4, 2017, the 21st Ward Fourth of July Association invites you to celebrate the founding of our country during the 187th Independence Day Parade of Churches and Sunday Schools. This year's parade is scheduled to step off at 9:00 AM Tuesday at Lyceum and Manayunk Avenue and come to an end at Lyceum and Ridge Avenue with post-parade celebrations and picnics to follow. Activities preceding the parade include the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance as well as the singing of the Star-Spangled Banner.
Ridge Avenue United Methodist Church leads this year’s first in the line of march in addition to 15 other churches participating in the parade. The following line of march with picnic locations provided by the 21st Ward Fourth of July Association is listed below:
Parade Line of March
1. Ridge Avenue United Methodist Church to picnic at church grounds
2. Green Lane United Methodist to picnic with Ridge Avenue Methodist Church
3. St. Alban’s Episcopal to picnic at church grounds
4. St. Mary’s Episcopal to picnic at church grounds
5. St. David’s Episcopal to picnic at church grounds
6. St. Timothy’s Episcopal to picnic at church grounds
7. Church In The Yunk no picnic location
8. Roxborough Presbyterian to picnic with Leverington Presbyterian
9. Galilee Baptist to picnic at church grounds
10. Wissahickon Presbyterian to picnic with Leverington Presbyterian
11. Josie D. Heard A.M.E. no picnic location
12. Salvation Army no picnic location
13. Leverington Presbyterian to picnic at Gorgas Park
14. Community Bible Fellowship no picnic location
15. Pilgrim Presbyterian to picnic at private residence
16. St. John The Baptist, Manayunk to picnic at St. Mary’s Woods, Port Royal Avenue
Parade attendees are encouraged to dress in red, white and blue or service uniform. For more information on the parade visit the 21st Ward Fourth of July Association’s Facebook Page.